On today’s show I discuss some client wins, a fail and some ongoing challenges in my freelance business so far in 2023.
Here’s what I share with you in this episode:
- A win in which I didn’t dismiss the client because it wasn’t a straightforward proposal and I had to customize it.
- A “bridge service” win, in which I took an existing service and skill I’m good at and went beyond it a bit, expanded it to create a new, great project.
- A win in which I fired a client that forced me to often track down payments.
- A win in progress in which I’m thinking through how to develop a three-tiered proposal, offering three options at different price points for one potential client who is unclear about the scope of work they need right now.
- A “sort of” fail that reminded me of a few lessons.
- Three challenges I’m facing this year so far: working weekends, lack of consistent marketing, and a feast-or-famine cycle (no!!!!).
Biz Bite: Consider your rubber balls versus your glass balls
(thanks to Alysha Love for sharing this at ACES)
The Bookshelf: “Wake” by Shelley Burr
Join the Deliberate Freelancer Facebook group.
Support Deliberate Freelancer at Buy Me a Coffee.
Episode #153 of Deliberate Freelancer: My 2022 and Q4 Audit and Six Lessons from Last Year
ACES–the Society for Editing virtual conference: Sept. 27-29, 2023
ACES–the Society for Editing in-person conference: April 4-6, 2024, San Diego