Today’s guest is Wudan Yan, a narrative writer and independent journalist from Seattle. Wudan is also host of The Writers’ Co-op, a podcast, online community and learning academy for freelance creatives.
In this episode, we talk about:
- The different ways to define an “anchor client.”
- Why and how Wudan is rethinking the concept of an “anchor client.”
- How the current economy is affecting freelance creatives.
- The importance of “offboarding” clients.
- How to turn current clients into anchor clients.
- The importance of building and maintaining business relationships.
- Why Wudan and I charge mostly project rates.
- How Wudan pushes for project rates in service areas that are traditionally paid by the hour.
- Why now is the time to start planning for January and the rest of 2024.
Biz Bite: Do a business audit now at the end of the year
- Support Deliberate Freelancer at Buy Me a Coffee
- The Writers’ Co-op
- Register for the November 29 “The 2023 Business Refresh with The Writers’ Co-op”
- Linktree landing page of resources and events from The Writers’ Co-op
- Wudan on Instagram
- Episode #74 of Deliberate Freelancer: How to Get Paid on Time & Charge Late Fees, with Wudan Yan
- Episode #92 of Deliberate Freelancer: Improve Client Relationships with Stellar Onboarding and Offboarding, with Kat Boogaard
- Episode #11 of Deliberate Freelancer: How to Find the Right Anchor Clients
- Connect with Melanie on Threads @MelEdits_DC
- Connect with Melanie on LinkedIn
- Deliberate Freelancer Facebook group