On today’s show I am going over 33 ways you can find new clients. But before you embark on that project, you’ll need to do a little prep work. First, consider what type of work you truly want more of. What do you love to do? What work pays well? Focus on that.
Next, raise your rates. Then, be crystal clear on what you want to say to those potential clients. Focus on how you can help them and what they want. Now, you’re ready to find new clients. Here are my tips (scroll down to the Resources section for a printable pdf of this list):
- Ask current clients for new work.
- Ask current or past clients for referrals.
- Go to industry conferences.
- Maximize your LinkedIn profile and add keywords.
- Send a ridiculous number of letters of introduction (LOIs).
- Follow up on past LOIs or with people you’ve met in real life.
- Add a new service.
- Apply to speak at conferences as an expert in your field.
- Reach out to your contacts who are at new jobs.
- Write a guest blog post in your industry.
- Ramp up your social media game.
- Go old school and mail out postcards to a select group.
- Join organizations and make sure to fill out your profile in the online directory.
- Apply to win awards in your field.
- Be active in Facebook groups and/or Twitter chats.
- Create a private Twitter list of potential clients.
- Launch or revive your blog.
- Create an email list.
- Create a newsletter.
- Create a freebie.
- Set up keyword searches on Twitter.
- Ask for testimonials from happy clients.
- Ask for LinkedIn recommendations.
- Try Facebook Live or Instagram Stories.
- Be a guest on a podcast.
- Revamp your website.
- Update your online portfolio.
- Consider partnerships.
- Answer job ads.
- Go to local events.
- Connect with a co-working space.
- Tell everyone you meet what you do.
- Fire a client.
Biz Bite: Stop reading and listening to things that make you angry.
The Bookshelf: “Daisy Jones & the Six” by Taylor Jenkins Reid
33 Ways to Find More Clients printable pdf
Episode #23 of Deliberate Freelancer: Five Questions to Evaluate and Diversify Your Services
Episode #18 of Deliberate Freelancer: How to Set Higher Rates
Episode 22 of Deliberate Freelancer: How to Create a Better Work-Life Balance, with Laura Poole
Episode #6 of Deliberate Freelancer: Make the Most of Conferences
Episode #24 of Deliberate Freelancer: Networking Tips, Especially as an Introvert
Episode #20 of Deliberate Freelancer: How to Use LinkedIn Better to Find Clients, with Phaedra Brotherton